WIP: The Couch
This has been a busy two months. Almost on the brink of too busy, it’s starting to lighten up. One of the projects that has been falling to the wayside amid all the paying gigs, time sensitive matters, and day to day necessities is my couch.
Here it was before I started.
It was poorly manufactured and the fabric just wore down after about 9 years of normal use. Here’s the decking (the material underneath the cushions).
And the arm. It wasn’t cut; it just wore down until it tore on its own volition.
It was under a throw for the last two years waiting for me to have time to reupholster it. I also wanted to update the style, taking away the loose pillows that made the back cushions and applying foam to the frame, shown below.
I still don’t have time, but I’ve gotten this far.
I bought the material on Philadelphia’s Fabric Row, at Adler’s Fabrics. I probably could have spent a whole day looking at all the stores, but the price was right for this subtle solid, although it has a lot of texture.
In the picture below, you can see one arm recovered and the other one still as a wood frame, completely detached from the couch. In order to do any work to this piece, once the cambric and outside back of the upholstery was stripped, I had to remove the arms. I was only able to put this one back when I was finished with it.
I’ve stretched new webbing along the back and the foam for the seat cushion, which will be one long cushion instead of two, is uncurling right now so that I can cut it tomorrow and start on its cover, soon hopefully!